Illicit Discharge and Elimination
An MS4 operator shall develop an SWQMP that includes a commitment to
develop and implement a strategy to detect and eliminate illicit discharges
to the MS4 conveyance.
Controls include: Promoting recycling programs for commonly dumped
wastes. Locating and testing suspected problem areas for pollution including
dry screening of storm outfalls.
Illicit Discharge Ordinance
Violations and Fines Ordinance
Call (260) 347-1362 to report any Illicit Discharges
Residents may be the first to recognize "illicit" discharges dumping into
storm sewers or coming out of storm sewer outfalls. If you see an "illicit"
discharge please report that to the MS4 personnel, police or fire
What residents can help watch for:
- Sediment (muddy water) leaving a construction site
- Spills, hazardous materials (chemical, gas, oil)
- Illegal dumping activity into streams or storm sewers
- Dry weather flows observed to be contaminated or polluted from
outfall pipes into streams (72 hours after a rain storm>
- Observed pollution event or pollutants in stream
- Clogged, leaking or overflowing sanitary sewer lines